Sunday, March 9, 2014

A (5 Full Days) Week in Review!

We finally had a 5 day week! It felt like years since I was able to spend 5 full days with Room 222. 
We needed 5 days! 
We wanted 5 days! 
We rocked 5 days!

We started out with a bit of wondering in our Observation Station. A special "thanks" to Mr. Berger for lending us his bear paw print. See the transcript from our initial wondering here.


This week's focus in writing was adding teaching detail to our pictures. Here is a collaborative picture that we did as a class. The drawing on the left is my original drawing. I was told that it was kind of boring and not very informative. The picture on the right was greatly improved as we passed the iPad around the carpet. Some students added color, some added labels and we even have a close-up!


We played around with the thought of different writing spots this week. It is amazing how a simple change of scenery can free your mind and let you create. 



As always... we read, read and read!

We read in groups...

we read with buddies...



and we read to the class...


Genius Hour took over at the end of the week. We are in the research and note taking stage. More on that later...

A group working on their Genius Hour project by researching using videos and websites.
I'll bet your wondering about our Flashlight project from last week. We used our donated flashlights to help us understand the moons rotation and phases. Here are a few examples of our projects:








Lastly, I ended my week with a great group of educators at Playdate Chicago. Saturday was filled with learning, collaborating and playing. If you are interested in how I grow as an educator and how my friends and I spend our weekends, click here.



Lastly, I will not be in the building Thursday and Friday of this week.  I will be continuing my educational growth by attending and presenting at the Illinois Reading Conference in Springfield. I can't wait to spend another few days of learning with this wonderful group of ladies.

No comments:

Post a Comment